To protect the health and well-being of our community, the Garrison Institute is taking a number of precautions against the coronavirus (COVID-19). We are monitoring information from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO), and we have been supporting one another in adhering to strict guidelines of frequent hand washing, practicing respiratory etiquette, avoiding close contact with people who are sick, and encouraging both guests and staff to stay home and rest if they are not feeling well.
We have been very careful to ensure the safety of our guests and staff, and thankfully have not yet identified the virus within our community or at our facility. But in light of the unpredictable nature of this time and the travel restrictions that have recently been put in place, we have decided to make a number of changes to our calendar.
As of Monday, April 20th, the following retreats have been rescheduled or postponed:
- April 5 – 7 : The New School (Private) – Postponed to October 18 – 20
- April 9 – 12: Ordinary Mind Zendo – Postponed to July 9-12
- April 10 – 12: Personal Retreat – Postponed to July 24 – 26
- April 16 – 19: Loch Kelly: The Way of Effortless Mindfulness – Live Webinar on April 14
- April 16 – 19: OMCE – Rescheduled to May 6-9, 2021
- April 26 – May 1: International Focusing Institute – Rescheduled to Aug 16 – 21
- April 29 – 30: Supportive & Affordable Housing – full onsite retreat postponed, 4-hour virtual retreat scheduled for April 29. 2020
- April 30 – May 3: Toko Kyudojo: Annual Kyudo Intensive w/Don Symanski – Cancelled
- April 30 – May 3: NY Meditation Center – Vedic Meditation Rounding Retreat – April retreat postponed, new dates TBD. Live Webinar scheduled for April 30
- May 1 – 3: Say What You Mean: A Mindful approach to Nonviolent Communication with Oren Jay Sofer – Postponed to August 28-30
- May 3 – 8: Open Gate Sangha: 5-Night Silent Retreat with Mukti – May event cancelled, new dates TBD
- May 8 – 10: John Tarrant: The Journey To Awakening: Meditating with Zen Stories and Myths – postponed to July 17-19, Online Webinar scheduled for April 20
- May 8 – 10: Unplugged: A Sound & Yoga Retreat with David Ellenbogen, Shawna Emerick and Amy Soucy – May event cancelled, rescheduled for August 28 – 30
- May 8 – 10: Rhonda Magee and Rose Pavlov: Mindfulness for Social Justice – Full Retreat rescheduled for August 14-16, and a half-day Virtual Retreat will take place May 8th
- May 11 – 15: PESI: Mindfulness Meditation Retreat: Postponed to October 18 – 22
- May 12 – 14: Repair the World: Cancelled, new dates TBD
- May 15 – 17: Self-Realization Fellowship: Silent Regional Retreat – Cancelled for 2020, new dates in 2021 coming soon
- May 22 – 25: Waking Up Fabulous: Madeline Klyne, La Sarmiento, Lama Rod Owens, Jacoby Ballard (LGBTIQ) – In-person retreat is postponed, but we will be offering a half-day virtual retreat on May 23rd. Please check our calendar for details.
- May 28 – 31: Cultivating Resilience with Josh Korda, Jessica Morey and Kathy Cherry (Dharma Punx NYC): Considering a Virtual Retreat, details coming soon.
- June 26 – 28: Pause & Press Play: A Rejuvenation Retreat for Women of Color – Postponed, dates TBD
- July 3 – 5: Transform Your Mind, Transform Your Life by Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo – Cancelled
We will update this page frequently, so please check back soon for updates if you have questions as to whether a retreat has been rescheduled.
During this time of social distancing, we encourage you to explore our online offerings in our new Virtual Sanctuary:
- In the spirit of holding space for community and connection, the Garrison Institute is offering a weekday noontime meditation, reading and discussion group on Zoom.
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have moved our weekly Wednesday morning meditation online. This group will be led by our Retreats and Events Manager, Amy Ma.
- Teresa Peppard’s Tai Chi classes will be held virtually on Thursday mornings.
Our main offices are closed during this time and our staff is working remotely. We will be happy to provide additional information and to assist you in rescheduling or registering for a retreat later this year.
Your support matters. While we cannot share physical space together, we remain committed to a shared practice of social and spiritual care. We are thankful for the opportunity to provide meaningful and accessible programming during this time of physical distancing. If you feel called to support our work, we welcome your tax-deductible contribution toward our efforts.
We will continue to share pertinent information with our community as it becomes available. In the meantime, please visit our blog for perspectives from our teachers on health and resilience in challenging times. We also invite you to subscribe to our newsletter, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for updates and to learn more about upcoming retreats.
May everyone in our community remain safe and healthy. We look forward to welcoming you to the Garrison Institute soon.
Chief Executive Officer, Garrison Institute