Communications Specialist (Hybrid)
Organizational Background: The Garrison Institute’s mission is to apply the transformative power of contemplation to today’s pressing social and environmental concerns, helping to build a more compassionate, resilient future. Working collaboratively with practitioners in diverse fields, the Institute produces research and publications, provides a hub for ongoing learning networks, and develops and hosts retreats / symposia. To learn more, please visit www.garrisoninstitute.org.
The Garrison Institute seeks a full-time Communications Specialist to develop and execute a comprehensive strategy to promote a wider recognition of its mission as well as its signature initiatives and events to targeted audiences and the general public. The position will report to the Director of Advancement, Development and Communications.
- Maximize the Garrison Institute’s brand and chart a course for audience growth; create a strategy to expand, broaden, and diversify its audience base through online, social media, and digital communications channels.
- Create and disseminate content for the website, social media accounts, podcasts, impact reports, online communications other promotional materials to be delivered across a variety of channels and platforms.
- Seek out media and partnership opportunities to amplify the work of the Garrison Institute and cultivate relationships with key media contacts and other influencers.
- Coordinate requests from the media and track responses; oversee the development of press releases and media advisories; pitch stories and arrange interviews; prep leadership and staff to deliver key messages; prepare talking points; oversee press and promotional events.
- Work with colleagues, speakers, and other stakeholders to develop strategic, clear, and powerful messaging to effectively promote events and programs to prospective audiences through various channels.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of its communications activities and share key findings in regularly disseminated reports to leadership and program directors and other key stakeholders with the goal of establishing clear benchmarks for audience growth.
- Oversee marketing and communications budget.
- Manage a team of consultants and vendors.
- Support external and internal communications activities as needed.
Essential Skills and Abilities
- Three to five years of experience in creating and implementing communications strategies at a nonprofit organization required.
- Excellent oral, written, and editing skills; ability to develop compelling and engaging digital/online content for various audiences across a range of platforms, including for web and social media.
- Proven track record of building local and national media relationships and partnerships that expand mission outreach and cultivate brand awareness, in alignment with fundraising campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with varied constituencies, including senior leadership, program directors, events staff and presenters, partner organizations, and donors.
- Ability and flexibility to manage multiple tasks and deadlines and produce quality results in a timely manner with attention to detail.
- Previous experience with vendor management, project management and meeting project deliverables.
- Proven experience with social media platforms, blog posts, website publishing and design software.
- Commitment to the Garrison Institute’s mission and its dedication to addressing pressing social and environmental concerns; fosters the Institute’s philosophy in its contacts with the staff and the general public.
- Experience working for non-profit organizations or a similar retreat or spiritual center including some training or experience in contemplative approaches preferred.
Proficiency in: Microsoft Office, Salesforce, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Pinterest; social media management/monitoring tools such as Hootsuite; Mailchimp / Constant Contact; Canva; and Adobe Creative Suite (Acrobat, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver); basic website publishing. Experience with Cision, Prowly, or Meltwater a plus.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range is $65,000 to $75,000 depending upon skills and experience. The Garrison Institute offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision benefits, a retirement savings plan, and paid time off. All staff are also offered the opportunity participate in the Garrison Institute’s mindful-based events including retreats and meditation sits as well as special workshops and trainings. This is a hybrid in-person and remote position based out of Garrison, New York.
The Garrison Institute is housed in a beautifully renovated facility on the estate of a former monastery overlooking the Hudson River. The Institute presents a wonderful opportunity to learn and work in a contemplative setting with a thoughtful community of individuals.
How to Apply
Please send a résumé, cover letter, and two writing samples to the HR department via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, and include “Communications Specialist Application” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. The Garrison Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer, and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required.